Makeup Masterclass by SRB | Bangladesh

Morning | Afternoon | Evening
As'Salaam'Wa'Alykum

Disclaimer: This whole blog itself aren't for those who may cringe when reading anything with grammatical errors. Sadly I suffer from Dysgraphia Dyslexia and there's nothing I can do about it. When I read things, they seem correct to me but really aren't. So best you stop here. 

I know I'm a shit blogger, but nevertheless I do still blog. 

What an end to 2015. Honestly I don't think I could've asked for a better ending year than this. 




Now most of you are aware I did a Makeup Masterclass in Bangladesh! Yes the land that has my heart till this date. At first I was pretty nervous but it all went when my students were more shy than me I was like screw my shyness need to show them confidence! 

Why?


I've always wanted to do something in Bangladesh. Property was the main thing (still is!) as that's where the money and security is at. However was thinking of something more within the wedding industry, now my knowledge in photography isn't amazing especially have Dyslexia terminology in Photography is low, so that went out of the window, designing isn't something I major'ed in so that too. But Makeup was one thing I'm confident with and know people in Bangladesh would love it. People like Karishma, Navin and Sanjana have been taught abroad with Makeup and now have their own parlors in Bangladesh. Kaniz Orchi, one of the best Bengali Makeup Artist in Sylhet who is also a very good friend of mine inspired and pushed me to do this! I wanted to do something on my own, not live off anyone or make my empire with the help of someone else's (Actual help not support help!). I could've easily done this with the help of other Artists or entrepreneurs and made my name through them but I chose not to because that's not in my nature. Some people live off their family or friends and make their name through being trained by someone or working at someones shop etc I don't for myself like the idea of that. I am BABTAC qualified and have been training with Haringey Council on the teaching side of things. However I love still learning from different artists.

Everything I have done, I have done by myself. My friends have supported me with promoting my work online but honestly hardcore work me myself + I.



How?

So I spoke to few friends of mine in Bangladesh and they were excited about it and supported me so much. For BD being a qualified makeup artist is an inspiring story itself. Plus with me having links with people in BD I had a feeling it will benefit me a lot.

When I was looking for space I was looking for hotel conference rooms etc but then my friend Trishita came into my mind. She has a shop in Banani called ERA House and she was kind enough to let me hire it for the event, I was first in two minds due to the size but then I wanted a small class and I knew it was perfect.

Then I started to promote it to my followers on FB. I'm part of this Bangladeshi group (All thanks to Jannat Meem <3)  and we discuss makeup on that and that's where I did my advertisement. Within 3 week alhumdulilah I sold 15 tickets.My poster that was posted everywhere! 



I then started prepping the Goodybags, gettings sponsors etc That all is my favourite part as I am good with talking people in ;-)



Afterwards I shipped all my items to Bangladesh and once I got there sent it to my Personal Assistant who also is my fab friend Sumaiya.

Some artists in UK did compare my work with another artist work in Bangladesh and told me that I won't be able to do it but my response was that it's business. I really don't give two hoots even if Lubna Rafiq was based there. Bangladesh is a huge country and has enough space for everyone not just one artist. I'm about working together not shunning each other down to get to the top.

All my students were Bangladesh based, this is actually huge for a non-knowing artist because I didn't realise that I had even 3 supporters back in BD but to have 15 students....

Alhumdulilah I got an amazing response with regards to sponsoring to randoms wanted to come even after me saying sold out. I don't work in Bangladesh, except for my family and friends there I actually have no link of business there. So I have to blow my own trumpet and say I did qutie well. 





Personal Experience: 

I can't explain to you all my feelings. It felt out of this world, I've done many achievable things in life but I think this one has to be the most heart melting achievement (professionally) 

At first when I told people I am doing this class few people did try and knock my confidence by informing me there are many artists already etc but it didn't matter to me. As soon as I mentioned my class I hear about two more international artists coming to Dhaka near the same time as me and doing a class, to be honest they are active artists unlike me who does it here and there and not taking bookings, I was falling back and doubting my ability but I think my students gave me strength by always sharing my knowledge and always keeping up with me via social media. So after that I concerqued my doubts and was more than ready to do this class. 

The day before the event, I landed in Dhaka (Was in Sylhet throughout December) I was pretty nervous and had the goodybags to do. But to be honest, I am a very organised person everything was boxed in London, all I had to do is put it in the bag. With the help of my amazing family it was done within 10mins :-D As soon as that was done, I felt the stomach twirling badly! I couldn't sleep that whole night, went to sleep around 5am! So many questions hit my head! Mainly will they turn up?! Lol! 

The day came and my students were amazingly punctual! It started around 10.10am which was pretty impressive for a country that wakes up at 12pm, no joke as soon as it hit 12pm I heard cars, people etc 

When I introduced myself, my students were still quiet and that's when my nerves went. I think it just had to be done and I was okay. Break time came, I went and spoke to each of my students making sure they ate, drank and are networking!
It was a great moment, I've never been pulled to take photo's nor have I been asked by other entrepreneurs to visit their stores etc. This class was mainly to create my stamp in Bangladesh and I think I did that.




Thank You's -People

My friends in Bangladesh are amazing! Honestly they emotionally supported me to supporting me via their business.




Sumaiya! I love this girl, we networked via IG 10 months ago and when I gave her this idea she said she wanted to help me, he helped me promote to setting up, cleaning emotionally supporting! She's totes squeezing me!! 


Trishtia, Fairha + Nadira to give me ERA House (They shut it down for me!) is a huge thing, do you think anyone in London would do that?

Tanvina, one of the faces of Butterfly by Shagufta (Big designer in BD) was my model and turned down other jobs just to support me! (I look like a toad!) 


Azrin was one of the sponsors and gave statement necklaces to each of my students! She also dragged me to her store down the street, and let me tell ya'll it's amazing! From the layout to the logo to the concept it's amazing!


Aydha is such a busy lady with her college work, to Sailor work to blogging and travelling but she came to see and support me



Tasmeem Amin + Riyad both in the media and wedding industry, the time I went Dhaka was booming Wedding Season and the fact you lot came all the way to Cilantro because they missed me at ERA House it was heart warming <3 Although I didn't see Ishrat this time she has been so lovely to promote my work to people <3


Tamanna MUA, Sofhina, Orchi + Sumaiya You girls were the only girls who knew I went ahead with it all and your lots support has been beautifull heard x

Of course my sisters but this time mostly my MADRE! She was so excited about this, wish she came to Dhaka for it! I've not felt her being this excited about anything, she's so up for me settling in Bangladesh and working!

Thank You's -Company 

Want to thank each company who sponsored the event, raffle and the goodybag

-Bombay Hair (Raffle)
-Illamasqua  (Raffle)
-Luxie Brush (Raffle + Goodybag) 

-The Vintage Cosmetic Company 
-Heidi Cosmetics
-Gleam by Mel 
-Vera Mona 
-Smart Shopping BD
-Sciccoso 

A huge THANK YOU to my Events + Decor company: Madri Gars! Afsara the event co-ordinator was absolutely amazing, she had three weeks to plan it all, on top of it all we did not speak once before the event! The day before the event she came and saw me and we went through it all but the fact she took my idea into her head and made it happen! They do all types of events so do make sure you give them a ring: 

Imran Photography! I know him through Afzal Azim a renowned photographer in Bangladesh, Imran was very nice and kind and his photography is amazing. We always spoke about doing a collab in BD, but let's face it i wasn't going anytime soon to do work there. So when this came up I was like Imran you have to do it! Although I do wish he took a lot more photo's so I had a range to choose from, for my blog. 

A few more personal thank you but they wish for me not to say their name, but I know they are reading this so THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP! Honestly from taking payments, to paying people you lot supported me thoroughly. Love you! 

I hope I covered it all! 

One big thing I've learnt from this is that, sometimes if you want to do something then just do it. Don't wait for approvals from people. Speak to your near ones and go from there. When it was all brainstorming, a few MUA's did say I couldn't do it as I don't have the teaching knowledge hence why I took up a course with Haringey and went to it for 4 months (still gotsa go!) and with that and combining it with my knowledge from Beauty School I think I was okay. Plus it was teaching girls from BD who have basic knowledge of makeup, they just needed me to help them enhance it :) 

Thank you to my students for believing in me! 


















FAO's: (After I published photo of it on Snapchat/Instagram/Facebook) 

Question: Few MUA's In UK have asked me would I recommend for them to do it? 
Answer: Of course, if that's what you would like to do then yes but bare in mind, it's not like UK where you can advertise on your social media and that's it. I've seen some "well known" artists announced they are doing classes in the UK and they didn't end up doing it. Sometimes it's not about how many people you have, it's about who you have. You all have seen I did not advertise this in the UK on my social media. It was all to people in Bangladesh. You need to be aware that it may not be as great as you'd like it, purely down to the fact your audience in Bangladesh might not be as big. But nevertheless still try and do it and even if 3 turn up you will only start from the bottom to the top. Like I have mentioned I have friends there and few business acquaintances. 

Question: You're from Sylhet, why did you do it in Dhaka? 
Answer: Most international people are from Sylhet, the beauty industry there is low currently and will only get big via the international people. I wanted Bangladeshi residents students, not international so I did it in Dhaka and having all the facilities there I was blessed Alhumdulilah

Question: This was such a huge thing, why didn't you tell us (Cow!)? (Some did call me a Cow lol) 
Answer: The reason I didn't tell anyone because it was a project close to my heart and if you all know me (Even via Social Media)I only announce things once it's official. This was a very fragile project, as even myself was not aware if I will be even be able to pull it off. 

Question: What a huge challenge, did you face any issues or did any people make issues? 
Answer: As stated before there were two artists who announced they are doing a class straight after me, which maybe a coincidence but it did bring me down but then though screw them I will still do it. My knowledge maybe different to theirs. 

Question: Do you have any regrets and would you do anything differently? 
Answer: Yas! With every first timers you will end up having regrets or thought "Oh should've done this" To be honest I don't have major regrets except that the sign behind me should've have MY work not ANOTHER ARTISTS work so please remember I am NOT claiming to have done that makeup! Bangladeshi printers KMT! Next time I'll be adding more hours, although I fed people I think we did less of networking, and trust me you don't realise how important it is to mingle when put in a room full of strangers. After break my students were very laid back and comfortable! EVERYTHING ELSE WAS PERFECTO 



-Sheuly Begum -


Comments

  1. I love you Sheuly. One of the Honest person I have ever met

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice blog and Thanks for describing useful information about effective solution for makeup.
    Hair Styling In Bangalore| Groom Make up in Bangalore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good opportunity for Bangladeshi women. Here you can find all kinds of things including handbags.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like reading your article. Always share your best experiences. Thank you for sharing your skin care experience. cocoonmedicalspa.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Highly Requested Post